Pages

Friday 18 March 2011

A message from Mara Yamauchi

Mara Yamauchi is not only one of the best British marathon runners (with a London Marathon victory under her belt) but the most distinguished alumna of the running club I have joined here in Oxford, the Headington Road Runners. She lives in Japan now, as she is married to Japanese national Shigetoshi Yamauchi. 
Last night she sent us in the HRR mailbox a message from Japan and for Japan, which I would like to reproduce here in its entirety. 


Dear Fellow Runners,

I’m sure you’ve been as horrified as I have about the scale of destruction and devastation going on in Japan following the earthquake and tsunami. Every day we see seemingly endless suffering and grief, but also incredible dignity and strength in the way the Japanese people are battling through this tragedy.

Here’s your chance to do something about it! You can dedicate one of your runs to helping Japan and donate the number of miles you run in pounds (or other currency) to the Red Cross Tsunami Appeal. You can do all this at: www.runforJapan.com, a new fund-raising website set up by my friend, Martin Yelling, which I am supporting. And please let your fellow runners know, so we can raise a lot and support the disaster relief and reconstruction effort in Japan. I am currently injured so I’ve walked for Japan instead of running! So anyone out there who can’t or won’t run, please walk instead J!!

Best wishes & happy running!
Mara  


I think this is a brilliant idea to help Japan in the way that we runners know best and love -running! I am going on my Run for Japan today! And I hope you do, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment