Pages

Tuesday 31 January 2012

The next chapter: Alex

It has been a hectic few weeks, to say the least. 

With days passing by in a haze, sometimes even merging into one endless sequence of events. Or should I say, non-events, unless you consider as events the constant flux of baby feeding, burbing, nappy changing, putting baby to sleep, catching up on laundry etc. and then over and over and over again, until you drop! A groundhog day, really.
And actually, there is no dropping out, this is a 24/7 call of duty and you'd better be there and up to it asap.

So, yes, Alex is finally here with us, a cute little creature with inversely proportionate demands! But we love him so much for it, he had been long awaited for by both of us, and as days go by, it is getting incredibly harder to imagine our life without him. 

Alex is strong-minded, demanding, inquisitive, ravenous, strong, he is our very own little froggie (his favorite position of sleeping in my lap!), a dream come true! And I am sure we will get to find out more and more about him as the weeks and months and years go by. 

Here he is, waving hello to you in his sleep! 
I hope you will agree as to the level of cuteness, I know I know, I am not the most objective person on earth to be the judge of that, but nevertheless... 

Perhaps you can sense how entralled we are to have him here, and it is unconditional. 

But I am not going to be idealistic and say how easy it has been for me. Having to recover from the c-section and immediately start taking care of Alex, in the way that the NHS works (by the way, the NHS, all the surgeons, consulatants and midwives, have been incredibly great, though you do get handed the baby right away, compared to the Greek system of midwives watching the baby for you at the beginning), it was tough and meant that there was no sleep right from day one. I think I may have been very near to exhaustion a couple of times over the past few weeks (Alex is 7 weeks on Thursday - already!).

But I am still here and things are picking up (hopefully) and I have even started to slowly get back into running- which is a major indicator of our life maybe at some point attaining some degree of normalcy. But more on that soon. 

So, up to now it has been a battle for survival and also a case of getting used to my new role of mum (and Colin's as dad). I have to admit I don't really feel like a 'Mom' yet, I feel like I am trying so hard for Alex to be safe and sound and I am trying so hard not to screw up here, but that's about it! I do have the irresistible urge to squeeze, kiss, hold and dance with Alex all day long, though, is that serious Doc? :) 

My major goal these days: being able to walk Lisa two times in the day, which basically means getting the boy ready to go out twice! I never suspected it would be such a challenge, what with the constant rounds of feeding, burping, changing nappies, etc. etc. that I have already mentioned! But it is, and requires a healthy dose of determination! If I manage to take Lisa out for her walks (ok, there is a compromise, one long walk of at least an hour) by 6, before Colin arrives to take over, this is a very good sign indeed that me and Alex are managing and actually doing OK! 

Which reminds me, better start getting him ready for the walkies. It is time already!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations again!
    I'm sure Alex is lucky for having these parents!
    (just a short message in case you had to change nappies again!) ;-P

    ReplyDelete